A death, a relationship ending, a job loss, bankruptcy, a traumatic life altering event, all have the power to knock you down. Life tries to take you out. A crippling spirit paralyzes you. It takes your breath away. Any momentum you had has halted. You feel hopeless and alone.
What do you do when you are knocked down? Do you let it keep you down permanently? Do you give up your hopes and dreams? Do you let it suck the life out of you? Or do get back up?
How do you get up when life has you down?
- Grieve. We are created to have emotions, allow yourself to feel them. When you suppress your feelings, they manifest in other ways such as misdirected anger, sleeping problems and bad dreams. Suppressed emotions can cause serious damage to your mind, body and spirit. It can cause stress, mental illness (depression, anxiety, and substance/alcohol dependency), weight gain and serious physical illness such as autoimmune disease, cancer, heart disease and gut health issues.
- Change. After you have allowed yourself to feel and deal with your emotions, it is time to change and get a new perspective on your circumstances. Get up off of the couch, get out of bed, take a shower, put on some clean clothes and go somewhere that will give you a new perspective. Have coffee with a friend. Go to dinner with family. Take a drive or go for a hike. Don’t stay isolated.
- Commit. It is time to find your inner strength and get a new resolve. Now that you have a new perspective on your circumstance, it is time to learn new ways of doing things. Maybe you need to take some classes or read some books. It is time to formulate a plan.
- Move forward. It is now time to put your plan into action. It is time to start living again. You have put the past behind and are now pushing into the future. A new life awaits.
- Purpose. As you move forward with your life, I hope you consider using your life experiences to help others. We all go through difficult times. I believe we go through pain so that we can comfort others during their time of need. Think back to when you went through something. Did you have someone to help you through? If you did not have anyone, didn’t you desperately want someone who went through something similar to talk with? Someone who understands what you are feeling without fear of judgement. You can be that someone. I hope you allow your pain to become someone’s comfort.
Life is an ebb and flow of good times and times of pain. We will go through more than one painful time in our lives. We can’t avoid difficulties but we can get back up again.
As always I welcome your feedback and questions. You can leave them in the comments below. If you like what you read let me know with a thumbs up.
Remember that you are not alone, I am here to walk along side of you.
Interested in coaching services? Follow this link for more details: Coaching Packages